Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Meeting Glennon Doyle - Momastery



I had the thrill of meeting Glennon Doyle last night and listening to her speak! It was everything that I expected and more. On the way, I was not really feeling it and had a busy day with my kiddos not to mention it was pouring rain. But I know that hard things are almost always worth the effort. If she can leave her kids to spread kindness all over the country than I can leave my kids to support her work for a few hours.


She spoke for about 90 minutes with lots of laughter and "truthiest" truths. It was so cool to be part of such an amazing movement. Her energy filled the room and captivated us all. I'd compare it to a political rally - everyone there thought she was amazing and wants her to win at life. Lots of squeals, camera clicks and knowing looks.

Glennon shared how so many of our issues as moms come from comparison and that truly is the thief of our joy. That is important to remember that the sliver of life that we see while trolling the Internet is just that - a sliver. Magazines and TV shows used to be the bar of comparison but now we have social media showing us images of a "perfect" life all day. I loved that she exclaimed that motherhood has been the best gift of her life and that she is extremely grateful for her children while still being annoyed by them. Motherhood is not an either or - we can still feel grateful for our children while feeling annoyed because that's what children do to us. I stopped taking notes and just listened but trust me - she's a one of a kind speaker.

I loved spending time with other women and lots of women were represented - women that appeared to be footloose and fancy -free all the way to mothers that have raised their families. Even a few men were there - bless them! Hope they received some major brownie points. 

Her basic message: be kind, be brave, and keep showing up for those that you love.



I met a friend from the MOMS club there and it was so fun to get to know her better. We waited in line for over an hour to meet Glennon. Time passed quickly and we learned a lot about each other. We both had the chance to chat with Glennon for a few moments. Glennon had a blast in Nashville and told me she'd love to live here. She looked amazing in her white dress with cowboy boots but more importantly it was obvious that she is an incredible listener. Taking the time to meet hundreds of women, hear their stories and allowing each woman to feel like they were the only one there. 



Run to your local bookstore for her book - Carry on Warrior - it's one of my favorite books of all time and I have read tons of books. 

I am so glad that I had the experience of meeting her and even more glad that I made a deep connection with a mom right here in my own community. Being a mom is important work and it's hard work but it's much easier with friends.

3 comments:

  1. love this! how fun that you got to meet her. sounds like it was worth the wait an the time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great I had no idea she was here. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting that you got to meet her! I love her blog and think she is a fabulous writer. Ya'll are both just too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!