Friday, October 10, 2014

Week in Review

It's been a LONG time since I wrote about an entire week at The Niemeyer Nest. I decided it was time so I can remember these special days forever.


Monday: Both kids go to school on Monday! It's really nice because I can get my house back together from the weekend. Carl is out of town for this entire week so I took the morning off and watched two episodes of Homeland. It was perfect to relax and prepare for the rest of the week. After my show,  I went to Michael's to get supplies for Henry's class Halloween party and then to the library and the YMCA. I came home to finish making dinner to avoid working with an ornery sous chef. Henry gets picked up at 2:30. After I picked him up, we dropped the dinner off for a family with their third baby boy! Sweet little baby! Henry loves a baby! Then we played outside while we waited for sister. Evie gets home at 4:10 and then things really get busy. Monday is homework day in kindergarten so we usually tackle that right away.  Evie had drawn her P person with some bathroom humor -not my favorite but she had a substitute! I decided to let it slide while hoping for a natural consequence at school. We had a horrible thunderstorm and the power went out.




Tuesday: Our power finally came back on at 9:30 right before we left the house. Henry and I headed to a room parent meeting at preschool. He did so well! Last year, it was hard to keep him entertained this year he worked on his Spiderman coloring book and chatted with some friends. A few months makes a BIG difference! After our meeting, it was time for Book Club. We read In the Woods and it was fine but not my favorite. Kim made a delicious quiche and cinnamon bread which was the perfect way to fill my tummy on a rainy morning. We had a terrific discussion and chatted with everyone. Henry and the other children played together while we discussed the book. We left to see a beautiful day had emerged from the rain! It was the perfect time to take a walk and enjoy the warmth of sunshine. We waited for Evie and then made cookies and did some homework again. Evie is doing so great on syllables but sometimes her Southern accent confuses her a bit. I always want to remember her sweet voice saying "axe" with two syllables.




Wednesday: Both kids went to school and I volunteer every Wednesday in Evie's kindergarten class. It's my favorite day of the week! I love being back in the classroom and am amazed at everything these kids are working on in class. Evie's teacher is thrilled to have my help because they do not have assistants in this district! Shocking! I am not sure how she does it but I am happy to help for three hours every Wednesday. Her teacher is so sweet to let me help her and gives me some fun stuff to do since I am a "real teacher" as she refers to me. I helped the kids pick out "just right" books for their book baskets. Ten books for each child took quite some time. I graded some papers for her and helped a struggling student with her initial sounds. I pulled some worksheets and made little books for her. It is just mind-boggling to see the range of student ability in one class. The time flies by so quickly just like it did when I was a teacher. Of course, I stay for lunch with my favorite kindergartner! After volunteering, I usually meet a friend for a quick lunch, we went to Bruegger's this week. I came home to pick up the house and work on some laundry before picking up Henry. Evie got off the bus and we played with the boys a bit. Evie and Christian had made plans at school to play that afternoon. Pretty cute! I do not usually cook when Carl is gone but breakfast for dinner was on the menu. We had a carpet picnic in the den. Our night was going well until bath time. I got frustrated with Evie and then felt horrible about it. Mom guilt is rough!



Thursday: Henry stays home with me on Thursdays. Of course those days are special too! We met some friends from church at Pinkerton Park. Henry and JT had a great time playing while Libby resolved me of my mom guilt! I LOVE a good friend! It started raining so we had to cut our play date short. Henry and I ran some errands and then came home for a bit. We noticed Evie had forgotten her library book so we took it to her school. Not something I want her to get used to but I know she loves library day and really treasures selecting her own book to bring home. The parent volunteer was very accommodating when I told her I felt like a helicopter parent. She laughed and told me that is our life all day every day. It really resonated with me because this mom appears completely different from me culturally. I was in jeans and a t-shirt and she was wearing a traditional Middle Eastern head covering. Moms are the same though- we all want what is best for our children even when it could have been a great learning experience. The sun was out again so we made a beeline for the park and ran into a friend from church. This does not happen much since our church is in the next town. Rachel and I caught up while Henry played with her Henry. Rachel has six kids! I am in awe of how she manages every day life since I find two children hard sometimes.  We came home to wait for Evie  and then spent some time together. Evie and Henry had a babysitter while I headed out with a few friends to hear Glennon Doyle from Momastery. What a fun night! It was my second time to hear her speak and it was just as inspiring. Lots of good take aways! We were starving and decided to go out for Mexican afterwards. I stayed up way too late!



Friday: Morning came way too early. Both kids were up before 7 which is unusual especially when Carl is out of town. Evie and Henry were excited to get started on their Fall Break! I was too! We had a lazy morning at home. Rainy days are perfect for staying home to drink hot chocolate, play school, build forts and make crafts. Both kids were content to play and enjoy being home. We decided to sneak out between rain storms for some Chick fil A. Evie had not been to Chick  fil A in two months since starting kindergarten. It's really been a terrific day with my kiddos! Of course, it would have been nice to have pretty weather but I really appreciated the relaxed pace of the day spending time with each other. We are now anxiously awaiting Carl's return and then these kiddos are off to bed. It's been a LONG week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!